September 2010


Just a quick one so that I’m not missing a week out. Last week I finally started developing the new iPhone revision apps. Development went well and progressed really quickly.

Printers and Scanners awaiting disassembly

I also started planning for Howduino which is going to be returning to Liverpool (at long last!) on the 20th and 21st November. Howduino is a hardware hacking event inspired by the Arduino platform but encapsulating many other aspects of hardware hacking and “Internet of Things”.

I have a few ideas for what I want to work on, I’d like to do a new more capable version of my clock – ideally with more hands that are individually controllable. I’m also hoping to have a look at building a laser projector. Potentially for both ideas I’m going to need stepper motors so I put a request out on Freecycle/Freegle Liverpool requesting “broken printers”. I ended up getting 5 in the end. “Unfortunately” two of them seem to work fine so we’ve adopted them as office printers but the others will be taken apart for parts, I also managed to find an old SCSI scanner of my own to disassemble too as you can see in the photo above!

Knidos

A pretty uneventful week this week. I’ve been away for the previous two weeks so this week was about settling back into work. Fortunately while I was away I had access to email so didn’t have the usual half day spent catching up on email (that was spent in the hotel bar when the midday sun was just that little bit too hot).

My main focus (again, see the previous week notes) was to get the admin interfaces for the revision app finished. I didn’t quite get them done before I went away but did manage to get them finished off by Tuesday. I also had to port the existing web site from PHP to Ruby. Not a particularly big job as the existing web site only consisted of two pages but I still wanted to make sure I got it right, part of the existing site was the redirects to iTunes which supposedly earn an extra few percent of any sales so they needed to work. Once I’d got these bits done and properly tested I had the big “go live” on Wednesday. As seems to be fairly usual with a rails project I found that when I went to put it live on my server, the server’s version of rails didn’t match my laptop’s. After plenty of faffing though I managed to get the new www.reviseapps.com live and make sure the existing two rails sites (OpenStreetView and my app store positions app) continued to work.

Thursday and Friday were spent designing the new iPhone app. I managed to get a good way through this and have documented what is going into this Milestone 2. I’ve even got the iPhone app project created and added to git so hopefully I’ll be able to hit the ground running with some coding next week. I’ve actually given myself a deadline for Milestone 2 (which is iPhone app v2) of next Friday. I did this with the previous milestone which ended up taking 3 weeks instead of 3 days too so we’ll see how well that works but I’m hoping things will go a bit faster this time.

Next week will therefore be mainly spent trying to get this iPhone app built and hopefully sourcing some new equipment for the new office!