Again this week I’d been intending to work on a new client iPhone project but unfortunately it hasn’t been signed off by my client’s client, but that did leave me free to put more time into the chess app, or that was the idea (again, see last week). This week I managed two pretty solid days on the chess app and made some real progress. I’ve now got an area at the bottom of the screen showing the moves for the game and a set of buttons on the side for moving forwards and backwards in the game and for taking any alternative branches. I’ve created an internal wrapper for the game which models the game and you can send messages to it telling it to go forwards or backwards in the game, when it does this it also alerts any other objects observing it that the state has changed meaning I can automatically update the moves view and chess board view when the game is progressed.
Something I’ve spent a fair amount of time on is making sure that all the rotation code works. It can be quite fiddly making sure that when you rotate the phone all the UI components end up in the right place. The SDK does provide you with various hooks that are supposed to make things easier but in the end I’ve largely had to manually set positions of elements to make sure they go into the right places.
There’s still plenty to do on the app. To complete the elements I’ve done so far I need to add the ability to read comments that might be interspersed in the game, and to indicate better when these comments or alternative branches are available. When that’s done I really need to start working on something for managing the games that you have stored on your phone and allow downloading more, neither particularly simple jobs. I then also need to offer more functionality for reading through the game so there’s still a good way to go.
On Monday, after having my old server’s disk fill up for the umpteenth time, I decided I might as well get the server move done and dusted. I’d previously copied most of the files from my old server to my new one so all that was required was configure all the services - the web server, database server, mail server, etc. - perform another sync, copy the databases across and then switch the DNS. It actually went fairly smoothly in the end and I think I managed to keep the downtime to a minimum. The final rsync only took about 5 minutes but then the database dump and import took about 10-15 minutes each. Wasn’t helped that every time I imported the database my connection to the server seemed to hang so the import would finish (the magic of GNU Screen) but I wouldn’t actually see until I tried to do something in the window and SSH finally told me that the server had disconnected.
I don’t think I had any other real problems though and I definitely managed to get everything transferred before my app store positions script started running, so definitely within about 4 hours everything was ready. I’ve actually switched to running directly on the bare metal so I’ve gone from a virtual machine on an older server to running directly on a quite modern server. I’m glad to report that the app store positions downloads are now taking 50 minutes so basically half the time they took on the old server. Queries of the database also seem to be much faster which is really good, maybe that’ll help me to get around to writing some externally accessible query mechanisms, like a website.
The rest of the time was spent on my revision apps. On Tuesday I spent some time preparing a press release which you can find here. It’s the first press release I’ve put out about the apps and is largely intended to get a bit more attention to them just as the exam period is coming around. The apps are doing quite well and seeing increases as we get to the exam period but I’d still like to see some bigger increases to be completely happy. On Friday I prepared a few more apps for submission, it’s probably getting a bit late now but I had the material ready so seemed a shame not to use it. One was for “Human Biology” for AS-level students - another Biology app but this time focused on the human side of things. The others were for the American market. I’m actually quite excited about this, it’s a huge market and has taken relatively little effort to prepare new apps tailored to US students. The questions aren’t too different so it just required some tweaking of the grading algorithms and then repackaging. Whenever Apple get around to reviewing them we should see Grade 10 and Grade 12 Biology, Chemistry and Physics appearing in the store. Again it’s probably a bit late in the school year but it will be good to see some healthy sales in another market if this works out.
So that’s about it for the past week. Not sure what I’ll spend most time on in the next week, I do need to get version 1 of the chess app “finished” but I now have 3 other iPhone apps basically confirmed and needing completing by the end of June. Think I’ll be keeping busy for a good while yet!