Microformats, Tails Export, Bluetooth
I was recently sent a link to this article. It basically describes an application that has been launched by the Bluetooth SIG that allows you to “embed a chunk of data … in a web page and have it copied to a mobile phone at the click of a mouse”. Although I must say I didn’t RTFA I did think to myself “What’s the point in this? Why not just link to a vCard, download it then send it to your phone?” I basically decided that all it did was convert a 2 step process (download file, send file by bluetooth) into a 1 step process.
After thinking about it a bit more (and, yes, still not reading the article, I’m very much of the slashdot generation) I realised that there was a bit of a similarity between this and microformats. I got to thinking about knocking up a program that would skim over a web page, pull out all the microformats on it, and allow you to send these using bluetooth. After a mention from Andy Hume and a visit to the WSG Meetup on Microformats I decided to have a go at hacking this support into tails export (edit: a great Firefox extension that already exists for pulling microformats out of a page and exporting them to your computer).
One slight problem I had to start with was that the export feature of tails export doesn’t actually work with OS X. Tails export appears to work by creating a file containing your event or address information, then setting the URL of the browser to point at that file. Quite ingenious really, it saves having to worry about what program to load the file in as the browser should take over and load the file in whatever program you have setup to handle it on your system. Unfortunately that doesn’t appear to work on OS X. On a mac, on the command line, we have the nice ‘open’ command which does exactly what we want, opens a file in the associated program. So all I needed to do was figure out how to make tails export use that when run on a mac. After spending a frustrating few hours on a train on Friday night trying to research this using the Opera mini browser on my phone, I finally found the solution on Saturday morning. “nsIProcess” is an XPCOM component that you can use to fire off programs from within a Mozilla based browser. I found a handy example online and then managed to add the support to tails export without too many problens (ok, maybe there was an hour of trying to figure out why it wouldn’t open in the Bluetooth File Exchange app which turned out to be because I was passing a file:// URL).
So, that’s about it, I’ve packaged up a new version of tails export, you can download/install it as tailsexport-0.3.1-jmck.xpi (update: see bottom of article). I make no guarantees for the reliability of this extension, if it blows up your computer and deletes all your blog postings, I’m taking no responsibility. This is the first time I’ve touched a Mozilla/Firefox extension so I have no idea if I’ve done things the right way. That said, it works nicely for me, my Sony Ericcson k750i works well with the vCards though unfortunately doesn’t seem to accept the iCal stuff. I’ll let Robert de Bruin know and see if he’d like to add my changes to the official build.
As a last note I thought I’d mention that I did eventually read the article that I’ve linked to right at the top of this page. I thought I should before writing this blog posting just in case it turned out that the application was doing something amazingly clever that I’d just missed. What they appear to be doing is having developers include a JS file on their page, then when users click the “TransSend” button some JS has to be run to either pick the bits of information out of the page and construct a vCard on the fly, or use a pre-built hardcoded vCard (I haven’t yet found docs on how to embed TransSend stuff yourself though, just looked at the examples). This seems like a really nasty solution to me though and I really wish they had heard about Microformats at the Bluetooth SIG. Microformats look like the perfect solution for them, just a shame they are a bit behind the times!
Update! 26th October 2006 - As I mentioned above the extension didn’t work for exporting calendar events to my phone. As it turns out it didn’t work for sending vCards to Nokia phones either (thanks Stuart for testing that). I’ve put small updates in to fix these problems which you can find in tails-export-0.3.1-jmck2.xpi. The calendar events problems were caused by a file extension problem, my phone only accepts .vcs not .ics so I’ve simply changed the file extension for now. Also the Nokia problem was due to bad line endings, I’ve fixed this using a JS replace but hopefully I’ll fix this in a better way when I update to Brian Suda’s latest XSL.
Update 2! 26th October 2006 - It seems Nokia phones are still having problems which appear to be due to a lack of support for URIs for the PHOTO value (and possibly other values). Also note that there are character set issues too, but these should be fixed when I update to the newer XSL.
Technorati tags: microformats, bluetooth, firefox
— Andy Hume
— Robert de Bruin
— Rise of the PHX » Blog Archive » Very cool demo of microformats… and FF plugin tails specifically
— microformats.dk » Blog Archive » Bluetooth og microformats
— les microformateurs » Blog Archive » Microformats et Bluetooth : une vidÃ©o Ã produire
— Amasijo » Blog What I Made Â» Microformats, Tails Export, Bluetooth
— Export Microformats to your phone from your mac | Muffin Research Labs